Saturday, August 16, 2008

First day of work



So yesterday, Friday August 15, was officially my first day of work. I went to the TCC office at 9 and left at 2. Not too bad for our first day, especially since it was in air conditioning. If anything, I was actually a little cold! We went over the usual paperwork and rules, no dating your co-workers, if you have a problem with something, handle it like an adult immediately instead of letting it build into a bigger and bigger problem, etc. We went through a ton of "fun" situations and activities etc. to read through all the rules.

It was hosted by TCC or the Trinity Christian Community. I believe it breaks down like this. AmeriCorps or the Government facilitates volunteers and money via grants to TCC of New Orleans. Then TCC funnels the grants to organizations such as Rebuilding Together and a Literacy tutoring program.

TCC is run by a man named Kevin Brown, whom I met yesterday and is pictured in the image above. He was a wonderfully friendly man. He is the Executive Director of TCC, and is only the second one, replacing his father after his service, in 1998. He grew up in a black community, which proved to be difficult as a white boy especially during a time such as the early 1960's. His father was a civil rights activist. He said that the Black community didn't really like them because well why was this white family living here, and the white community thought that his family had somehow left the white community by living here in the inner city of New Orleans, so they hated him. He responded to this by saying that well here in New Orleans, you make all of your food with both salt and pepper so why not make your communities with both as well?!

We met all of our bosses and filled out yet some more paperwork, but for the most part, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was. At one point, we all had to stand and recite our pledge which was sort of exciting. It was just another thing to remind me that yes, this is really happening! The pledge was:

I will get things done for America-
to make our people safer,
smarter, and healthier.

I will bring Americans together
to strengthen our communities.

Faced with apathy,
I will take action.

Faced with conflict,
I will seek common ground.

Faced with adversity,
I will persevere.

I will carry this commitment
with me this year and beyond.

I am an AmeriCorps member,
and I will get things done.

After we recited the pledge, we also got our AmeriCorps t-shirts, a shirt that although is exciting now, I'm sure I will be tired of it at the end of this year! I've got a ton of more information for ya, and will be starting to do research for my independent studies, so make sure to check back in if you're interested.

Peace
Amanda

No comments: