Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Spike Lee's When The Levees Broke Continued

Ok so I've had sufficient time to think about this, and here is my reaction to Spike Lee's When The Levees Broke...

At first glance, it is a close up look at what happened during the storm and reactions from people who survived it. It is a "dirty" film in that things are not censored and nor are the people's remarks. It is raw and full of emotion delivered in a shock and awe manner.

I liked this documentary because of all these reasons. I also like it because of the same reason I appreciated Kanye West for the brief moment in time when he said what everyone else was afraid to say, "George Bush hates black people." Now this may have not been the most intelligent way to say this, I'm sure it's not even close, however, it did at least get people talking. I feel like this movie said some things that needed to be said. It also documented this horrible event for the future, which is important.

That being said, I do not go away from this documentary using any of the information gained as fact. Because it is a Spike Lee documentary, you really do not know what is fact and what is "Spike Lee" fact. He is known for throwing the race card everywhere and it was very clear in this film. I think the blame is not necessarily put in the best places, and certain parties interviewed in this film escape blame they should not escape.

My overall feeling is that although it is one sided, the film is a must see for all Americans, especially anyone who plans to visit the Gulf Coast, or anyone that plans to work there. It is definitely a good "rally the troops" movie and if you are going down with a group of volunteers i suggest you all watch it together.

I watched it with the group I went to New Orleans to and I think it was a good thing for us all to watch. It is, I believe, my responsibility to warn you along with this review that at points the film it is extremely graphic in nature with cursing, photographs of dead bodies, and horrifying first accounts of the events following Katrina.

With all of that said, I still believe you should watch it!

Peace
Amanda

No comments: