Saturday, June 14, 2008

The Great Deluge

So my new read is The Great Deluge by Douglas Brinkley. It is a great read, although it's size is definately scary. The book is great, it shares stories of hope and of heros as well as trying to figure out who's to blame for the misfortunes of Katrina.

I'm totally engaged by this book, it is so immensly filled with information, it traps me. Unfortunately, I do not get to read as much as I'd like and my reading seems to be pushed to late at night before I go to sleep. Well last night, as I was reading, all of a sudden, a lot of information about St. Bernard's Parish came up. They started talking about St. Rita's Nursing Home, which was a nursing home in St. Bernard's Parish which did not evacuate and as a result, 34 people died. As I was reading it, everytime I saw the words "St. Rita's Nursing Home," it was like I was hearing John say it, instead of me reading it. John is a man I met the first time I was in New Orleans in St. Bernard's Parish. He was an amazing local resident who hung around CAMP HOPE, the volunteer center, and told all volunteers how great they were for going down to the Gulf Coast to rebuild. I know this sounds strange but that's what kept happening.

With that said, yeah I want to go back as soon as possible!

Peace
Amanda

No comments: